The Dan Collins Scholarship Award was first introduced during the 2017 Annual Franchise Owners' Meeting. The award is in memory of Dan Collins, a past franchise owner who passed away from cancer in 2005.
Dan was a "larger than life" gentleman who always had a funny story to share, an encouraging word for his fellow owners, and a big heart for giving his best to help others. Dan's efforts in promoting NaturaLawn and his franchise in the Richmond, VA area can be summed up by a simple five-word question which he was so fond of saying; "Can I get you started?"
Dan was the consummate sales person but not because he "pushed" people to buy. His methodology was not to "sell", but rather to "help." In doing so, Dan "helped" many consumers become NaturaLawn® customers.
The Dan Collins Scholarship Award currently provides three stipends to the winning students - $4,000 for first place, $2,000 for second place, and $1,000 for third place, to be used towards their college education. Application submissions to The Dan Collins Scholarship Award (including all essays, letters of recommendation, transcripts, etc.) should be postmarked no later than May 1, 2023 for this year's award.
In addition to the completed application and a possible interview with NaturaLawn® management, the following criteria will be considered during the decision process:
- The applicant should be a current high school senior or enrolled as a full-time student in a two-year Associate Degree or four-year Bachelor Degree College/University program.
- Submission of a transcript showing a high school or current College/University GPA level of at least 2.5.
- A one-page essay explaining why you should receive this award.
- A one-page essay recounting how you may use your degree and knowledge gained from your education.
- Up to three letters of recommendation.
- Preference may be given to NaturaLawn® employee's children.
- Preference may be given to students enrolled in/with experience in the field of turfgrass management.